Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Is a Kite Festival on YOUR bucketlist?

Even if you're not a serious kiteflier you really should include a major kite festival on your bucketlist.

Washington State Int'l Kite Festival - 2014

I've been flying kites as a hobby since 1984, but I hadn't been to a big kite festival since the early 90's. The competition, the camaradarie, the reunion of friends... that hasn't changed. What has changed is the proliferation of huge, colorful kites and spectacular inflatibles; I'm here to tell you that no photo or video can really do justice to the experience of being there with family, friends and your camera. In fact, bring a picnic lunch and stay awhile. I promise you won't regret it. You don't even have to make a kite festival the focus of your vacation to enjoy one, and here's why:

There is at least one kite festival every weekend of the year somewhere in the world!

Here's a few examples; the first is the 2012 Washington State Int'l Kite Festival, which is held every year during the 3rd week in August in Long Beach, WA. This video comes pretty close to my experience at this year's WSIKF.


Belgium's big kite festival, held in May each year:


On the east coast there's Wildwood NJ:


Wintering in Florida during January? There's the Treasure Island Kite Festival, held at Bilmar Beach:


Life's too short! Include more smiles, laughter, oooohs & aaaahs (you know, that inner child in you), and I guarantee you'll live longer and happier!

You have no idea how excited I get when I launch this kite!

Go ahead. Let out your inner child. I know you want to.